‘Tis the season for holiday baking, and one of my favorite holiday treats are these red velvet whoopie pies with peppermint filling. These showed up as #25 on the Better Homes and Gardens 100 Best Cookies a few years ago.
I first made these for a big family Christmas Eve party and they were a huge hit. It’s a bit of a process to make these, but well worth the effort. They’re incredible and they look so festive as well. If you’re up for the challenge, give these whoopies a try!
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies with Peppermint Filling
Yield: about 40 cookies
Whoopie Pie Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1-ounce bottle red food coloring (2 tablespoons)
Striped round peppermint candies, finely chopped (optional)
Peppermint Cream Cheese Ingredients:
2 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
3 cups powdered sugar
Whoopie Pie Directions:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the 1/2 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar, cocoa
powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
- Alternately add flour and buttermilk, beating on low speed after each addition just until mixtures are combined. Stir in red food coloring.
- Spoon dough 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are set.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool.
Peppermint Cream Cheese Filling Directions:
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, and peppermint extract. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar.
- If necessary, add milk (1 teaspoon at a time) to make a filling of spreading consistency.
Whoopie Pie Assembly Directions:
- Spread Peppermint and Cream Cheese Filling on bottom of each of half of the cookies. You could also pipe the filling using a pastry bag or plastic bag with the corner cut off.
- Top with remaining cookies, flat sides down, pressing lightly together.
- Serve cookies immediately. If chilled, let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
- If desired, sprinkle each cookie with some finely chopped peppermint candies before serving. If they do not stick, use light corn syrup as a kind of glue.