Before this weekend, I had never attempted to make my own popcorn balls before. I was never a huge fan of the traditional Halloween treat, but when I asked my husband what I should bring to a Halloween party that is kid friendly, he responded without skipping a beat, “Popcorn Balls!!” So, I challenged myself, and the result was far better than expected.
I decided to make the popcorn balls look like pumpkins, so I ended up putting chocolate Twizzlers in them to be the stem of the pumpkin. I wanted green Twizzlers, but I couldn’t find any. I’m not a fan of chocolate flavored Twizzlers, but in this case, they were merely for appearance.
I combined a couple of recipes to get to my end result, which not only looked good, but tasted great. They were the perfect combination of chewy, buttery, and sweet…perfect. Enjoy!
Chewy Popcorn Balls – Pumpkins
Yield: 16-20 popcorn balls
3/4 cups light corn syrup
1/4 cup butter
2 teaspoons cold water
2 & 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 & 1/2 cups marshmallows
3 bags of popped microwave popcorn (I used lightly buttered)
red and yellow food coloring
chocolate flavored Twizzlers, cut in half
- Pop the three bags of microwave popcorn and put into large bowls. Make sure to sift out the kernels.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the corn syrup, margarine, cold water, confectioners’ sugar and marshmallows. Add red and yellow food coloring to get to your desired shade of orange (2 drops red, 3 drops yellow). Heat and stir until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Quickly and carefully combine the hot mixture with the popcorn, coating each kernel. Be careful – it will be very hot! You can use a silicon spatula to coat the popcorn.
- Grease your hands with vegetable shortening and quickly shape the coated popcorn into balls around half a chocolate flavored Twizzler before it cools. Again, be careful – the mixture will still be hot. You might want to use rubber gloves (still greased).
- Wrap with cellophane or plastic wrap and store at room temperature.